When I find sought after collectibles and rarities, I always ask myself:
- Is the vendor's price too high or too low?
- Compared to other objets sold by this vendor, is it plausible to find an original here?
- Is it unusually clean for its age?
- Does the wear on the object look genuine or intentional?
- If the paint isn't worn out, is it really original?
- Online: Do I see all the angles of the objets, or am I facing voluntary omissions?
Train your eyes to differentiate the good defects from the bad perfection. There's no magic recipe except: Trust your instincts. If it looks too good to be true, it usually isn't awesome.
Jean A Sarrazin, Professional Picker and President of Veteris Collection Inc.